US Open 2012, the Final Grand Slam Tournament of the Season


The last grand championship of 2012 ended last week. Instead of commentating on the matches I have seen, this time I would like to share my general impressions. I am a spectator who quite loves hard courts and the game played on these courts. US Open is one of my most favorite tournaments. Two major players retired during this tournament. One of them is Andy Roddick, the final great champion of American tennis, and the other one is Kim Clijsters, one of the significant names in women’s tennis. As a person who loves both players and watches most of their matches, I was very sad for the retirement of both of them. Especially, the Roddick’s fight against J.M. Del Potro in Round 4 was not the performance of a player who would retire. He would play high level of tennis for quite a few years. But I guess Roddick was very tired of fighting against ongoing injuries for years, and not showing the performance he desired. His farewell match was full of emotional and tearful scenes. I will miss both players.

I think the fact that Federer was defeated by Berdchy in the semi-final increased Murray’s chance in the championship. Murray beat Djokovic in his 5th Grand Slam with a good game, and earned the title he deserved. He presented a Grand Slam Championship to his country 76 years later. Even though I’m a good Djokovic fan, I was very happy that Murray won since it was his time to win, and he won. I would like to say what I always say one more time for the female players: There is no female tennis player to stand against a healthy and fit Serena! Azarenka really did her best in the final; she even had only 2 points to become a champion in the final set. But with her experience, mental stamina and great fighting spirit, Serena Williams managed to turn the match around and became a champion. I’m very happy for Serena. She also had significant health problems, but we all see how fast she pulled herself together.

Even though I could catch up with the beginning of the matches but missed the final parts due to time difference, I had the chance to watch many matches including the final matches. It is not like I did not feel Rafael Nadal’s absence in the tournament; the matches are always much more exciting in his presence. 

Now Davis Cup matches also continue, but there is no chance to watch him on cable. I can sometimes catch up with a few matches. Apart from that, there is women’s year-end championship in October in Istanbul, and men’s year-end championship in November in London. I intend to follow these two championships from their own location. Whenever I have the chance, I will try to share the matches I have seen in this blog. Greetings to anyone and full of sports!

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar